Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Arthur's seat


I felt like I was running all day today! I had planned to meet Nik on the Mile at 10:40am, but somehow took a really long time getting ready and ended up running through town to meet him before 11am when I said he should no longer wait for me. Not having phones here has made planning a little tricky. Luckily I met him in time, so we decided to go to Arthur's Seat. Arthur's Seat is a steep, jagged, beautiful hike up a landmark hill in Edinburgh. It has a amazing views of the city and, according to a local shop owner, is supposed to be a 45 minute hike if you have good legs, and an hour and 15 minute hike if you don't. :) We made it to the top in about 30-35 minutes, we think.

We were in kind of a rush to get to the top, because Anna arrived in Edinburgh and I told her I'd meet her at 1:30pm. Because of Nik and I's great legs, we were able to do the hike and get to the meeting place with time to spare.

Nik had a performance today, so Anna and I hung out and caught up for a bit, and then I headed to a Korean clown show. The show was aMAZing!!! Wow, so funny and such great skill!! Made me happy. ;)

After the Korean clowns, I had some time on my own so I did a little shopping, and then headed to The Monster in the Hall. Monster was an excellent, beautifully performed, and an incredibly creative piece about a girl coping with having a single parent who has MS. It was charming, funny, and quite moving.

I didn't realize how long The Monster in the Hall was, so I bought tickets at a venue about 20 minutes away for a show that started about 10 minutes after Monster let out. !!! I started to run back across the city to the next show, and then gave up and jumped in a cab. Luckily they had late seating, so I was able to see the Sharron Matthews show tonight.

Finally, I had planned to meet Nik and maybe Anna for free comedy, but I had a sneaking suspicion that it might not happen, so I ran home to check my email and found I had messages from both of them saying they were kind of worn out. Nik mentioned he might be still up to hang out if it was something a bit more mellow, so we decided to meet between our places for a nice late night drink.

Tomorrow's my last full day in Edinburgh... and then NY.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

What a fun and tiring day! I was exhausted reading it - and great photo btw!

kristen said...

I love this photo. It was such a beautiful hike and a completely exhausting day!