Monday, August 18, 2008

I got a glimpse of the poverty in China today as we drove to the house Josh's dad is building in a city near Beijing. Josh said he could see me planning a revolution in my mind as we sped down the highway past rows upon rows of dilapidated housing - full of single child families...



After viewing the new house, we went to the apartment where Josh's dad presently stays when working in this area. (In the building pictured above.) As Josh and I began to discuss the government and the state of the economy in China, we received a phone call that we were to meet one of Josh's dad's colleagues for dinner. We were picked up and whisked away down the road past a security check point toward a gorgeous building. I was about to point it out when I realized it was where we were going. We walked in to meet Josh's dad and the Mayor of Lang Fang. Quite a strange place to find yourself when you're in the middle of planning a revolution in your mind... I walked in wearing jean shorts, sneakers, a tank top, and the previously photographed hat worn sideways on my head. Definitely the appropriate attire to challenge the present company, but instead I sat quietly and ate my shark fin soup...



Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

1 comment:

Gabriella said...

Code Name: The Polite Revolutionary