Sunday, August 17, 2008

Alone in China

Josh's dad got 2 tickets to diving for tonight... He said Josh and I could go, but seemed sad to miss the event. I decided to offer to stay in the hotel to let Josh and his dad go together, so i'm wandering around the shopping mall below the hotel to help pass the time and maybe get in a little shopping.

Shopping is proving to be a bit stressful. I'm immediately greeted in Chinese (of course) when i enter a shop, and then i'm followed around the store...but, i'm not sure why they're following me. I'm guessing it's what they're supposed to do, but it makes me kind of uncomfortable. When I try to speak English, they blush and run around looking for someone who speaks English just for me to tell them that i'm just looking. The little bit of Chinese that Josh has taught me I either can't remember or doesn't help me understand what they're saying to me - so, back to the hotel room I go... I forget that I entered this country with the perfect disguise to fit in.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments: