Thursday, October 13, 2011

The exhibit

After the wedding in Portland (see last post), I went back to my hotel room and slept for something like 3 hours.  I had planned to walk around a bit but apparently my body needed rest, so much that I woke up achy... Yup, sick.  Just in time to hop on a redeye to New York for work. 

I was called to New York last Wednesday.  They wanted me to leave on Thursday so I could be at work on Friday. I would stay through the weekend, work Monday and Tuesday, and head back Wednesday (yesterday).  It would've meant a free weekend in New York, but missing the haunted amusement park, seeing Jason and Erin, and attending Stacy and John's wedding.  Work said I could come when was best for me, but that being there Monday and Tuesday would really help out -- especially because they wanted me to work the exhibit Tuesday night. 

A 10:25pm departure.  I downed some Niquil at the Portland airport and hoped for the best.

I'm usually a really good plane sleeper and Niquil tends to knock me out... but, I landed in New York about 5 hours later having barely slept a wink.  I went to my hotel room, showered, changed, and started my Monday. 

Work was a bit of a blur, and everyone kept telling me how great I looked.  ?  ...which seems to happen to me when I haven't slept at all.  The less I sleep, apparently, the better I look.  ??  It's consistent and very weird. 

I did manage to sneak in dinner with a friend on Monday, but it was an early night.

Tuesday I woke up with the chills.  I got up and took some Dayquil and Advil and wrapped myself up.  The sucky part about being flown to New York for work is you have to work.  I got up, showered, and headed in. 

Tuesday night I got to see the exhibit, finally, after so much anticipation.  The exhibit was a huge public art installation we did for one of our clients.  The executive I work for was a lead in the creative direction of the project, so I did a ton of support work on it.  I had seen bits and pieces and was hoping I'd have a chance to see the finished product in person so, even though I knew this trip (aside from being sick) wouldn't afford time to play, I was really excited to have the chance to come out.  It was beautiful!!  Just what I expected.  I was so happy to be there to celebrate it with my executive and the lead principal on the project.  Really detailed, inspiring, magnificent work.

I went to bed early that night as well, slept in a bit on Wednesday, headed straight to the airport, slept all the way back to the bay, went to bed early again last night, and here I am... 

No comments: