Saturday, October 15, 2011

Dîner en Blanc

I was invited to Le Dîner à San Francisco about a month ago.  This was the invitation I received from my friend Keenan: 

The first Diner en Blanc San Francisco is happening this October, and I'm on the reservation list. This means that I get to have a table with three guests for the event.

It started in Paris 35 years ago, so calling it a flashmob sounds kind of déclassé, but essentially, that's what it is. 1,000 people will descend on an undisclosed, iconic, outdoor location, bringing dinner, tables, chairs, and ambience, and wearing all white.

If you're reading this, then I think you may be interested in joining along, however, if we follow the rules, only three people can come. We'll see how that goes...

For the curious, a blog about this year's event in Paris: http://paris.untappedcities.com/2011/06/17/in-pictures-the-2011-paris-diner-en-blanc/

~~~~

From what I understand, this event had more like 3500 people. 

We met in the Music Concourse in Golden Gate park. 

It was quite a spectacular sight to find so many people dressed in white mingling amongst the fountains and tables.  They launched little, elegant, hot air balloons at random intervals and had Parisian street signs posted around the event. 

For dinner we brought:  champagne, wine, salad, tamales, meatballs, and banana cream pie.  We lost the girl who was supposed to bring bread, cheese, and fruit at the last minute to a broken down car, but were joined later by a last minute invitee who brought us much needed candles and water. 

The temperature was perfect and I was in great company. 

Thanks Keenan!

1 comment:

Gabriella said...

To quote Liz Lemon, "I want to go to there."