Friday, July 6, 2012

And beyond...

I've been doing my best to take some real time for myself these days because not relaxing, in the middle of All The Crazy, has brought me to the point of wondering if exhaustion will actually be the cause of my death...  

By the way, apparently "real time for myself" means watching the entire series of Scrubs.  (It takes a big turn in the later seasons, which I didn't like at first but... the new cast is growing on me.  ?)

Anyway, on to the crazy...  Where should I begin? 

After Palm Springs I was still sick, so I took it easy for a minute and then I played soccer -- which I think helped... And then, I had an amazing, but painfully over booked weekend. 

It started out on Friday night with the lovely Laura Lee.  We had intended to go the Liz Roman show (a dance performance whose lighting was done by Jennyb!), but we showed up to find the show completely sold out.  I had some friends djing over at the Beauty Bar, so we headed that way instead.  As it turned out, Laura Lee also had some good friends hanging at Beauty Bar that night, so we had a great night with friends.  :)  

Saturday morning, I was having a dream about being late to Miss Lily's first birthday party and then I woke up late for Miss Lily's first birthday party.  Damn... Dave and Maureen live in a beautiful house in San Rafael, about 40 minutes from me, so I hopped out of bed, picked the best outfit I could come up with for the day's activities, and managed to get to the party just in time for birthday singing and cake demolishing... whew!  It was a really nice time with Maureen's family and friends. 

After the party, I picked Anthony up at West Oakland to take him to a hip hop battle in East Oakland.  My directions had us driving down International blvd all they way, so we had a solid dose of ghetto by the time we got to the venue -- which looked like it was maybe in the back of a tattoo parlor, and had a bunch of thug life kids hanging around out front.  It was a rougher scene than what we had expected.  Anthony didn't seem comfortable, so we skipped the battle, and I took him on a tour of the nice parts of Oakland instead in an attempt to correct his first impression of the East Bay.  Yeow! 

After a good drive and some walks in the pretty parts of Oakland / Berkeley, Anthony and I headed to the city to join Star and Cindy for an Asian American magazine party.  The party happened to be booked with a bunch of performances, including some hip hop dance.  :)  Awesome.  We hung out there until Alex started texting me to head over to Joanna's birthday party at Orbit. 

Joanna's party was full of soccer friends, which is always fun.  We hung out until the bar closed, and then I headed home because I had to be up early on Sunday for the Odyssey. 

The Odyssey was a 5 hour interactive theater adventure / hike on Angel Island.  It was staged as a journey on which we were to accompany Telemachus following the footsteps of his father in hopes to find him.  Really fun show!  The performances were great, the settings well thought out, the interaction appropriate and playful, and I found it to be a very enjoyable production.  I had some friends performing in the show, who were fantastic. 

After the show, I got right on the ferry to head to Matt and Jessica's for a nice dinner.  :)  A perfect way to end a crazy weekend...  


No comments: