Sunday, July 8, 2012

Absurd

*flashback*

I'm 21 years old playing capture the flag in the woods, and a bunch of 14 year olds are following me around because they think that I'm also 14.  I eventually have to show them my ID to convince them to stop following me and that I am not, in fact, 14.

*present day*

I'm 37 years old playing beer pong (yes, I know) at a party, and an almost 24 year old (he was about to have a birthday) is following me around trying to get me to give him my phone number.  I tell him my age and he says he doesn't care. He somehow manages to impress me, so I give him my number with the disclaimer that it is not to be abused.

I suppose this has been happening to me most of my life so I shouldn't find it so surprising, but I can't help but feel continuously surprised by it. I guess as I get older and more aware, it just seems more and more absurd. ...but, there's a part of me that wonders why it should? I mean, I hang out with a lot of young people, and they are still single and normal, so... maybe I should just be grateful. Who knows... ?

...and, does everything happen for a reason?

No comments: