Thursday, September 29, 2011

Fully loaded

"What made you start smoking again?"

"...well, that's a loaded question."

"Sounds like it must be a loaded answer..."


We wander, shop, dance, and then head to the courtyard for some air.  We sit on a bench not far from a guy who is lighting up a cigarette.  Another guy walks up and stands in front of the smoking guy and absently starts shaking his ass to the music -- which makes the smoking guy twist all up on the bench to avoid the shaking ass.  I giggle.  Me and smoking guy make brief eye contact and he scoots out of ass shaking range to greet us with a slurry introduction. 

"Hi, I'm Aaron... I just came from a wedding... what's your names?  ...wow, can I just say that the two of you look absolutely stunning tonight.  *grin*"  (Aaron wasn't actually his name...I heard him wrong.)

A mix between Ben Affleck, Richard Gere, and...a baby?  He's really drunk, but sort of strangely charming.  ?

Aaron tells us about his job and shows us videos of him on a boat.  He then pulls out a joint and starts smoking it while displaying an app on his phone that counts how long it's been since his last cigarette.  ....  ???  He tells us he just started smoking again about a month ago...

"What made you start smoking again?"

He proceeds to tell us detailed stories about a Japanese woman he got pregnant who ran away with his baby, two failed marriages, run-ins with Katt Williams and Dave Chappelle, and a letter he wrote to Maury Povich... his stories are laced with humor and dripping with charm.  "...but, what made you start smoking again?".  Another story would replace the answer. 

Before he goes, he starts spelling something in my ear again and again.  "It's my name..." he says, "A. R. ..." he starts giving me mnemonic devices so I won't forget it.  "Do you want me to find you?"  I ask, "and, will you tell me why you started smoking...?!"

He's about walk away, when he leans in one last time to say, "I have a live-in girlfriend who doesn't like it when I smoke.  I'm trying to get rid of her.  Find me."  

No comments: