Saturday, April 2, 2011

Bloodline


The whole nature versus nurture thing has been creeping up on me lately - how maybe my history is right in front of me all of the time...I just have to look in the mirror and pay attention.  

I don't want to find my biological parents (which is the answer to the question you're about to ask).  I have a great family and, as I said to a friend the other night - I don't think I want to know the tragic story, or the glamorous life I'm maybe missing out on, or the parents who just didn't want me.  ...but I do think about what about them I carry around with me everyday... 

I watched The Kids Are All Right - a film about a lesbian couple who both have a child from the same sperm donor.  In the film, when one of the kids turns 18 they decide to connect with their biological father.  The "bank" makes the connection...and on the story goes...  Eventually, the moms meet the donor as well.  I don't want to give it away - but, there is a moment in the film where one of the moms says to the donor, "I just keep seeing my kid's expressions in your face."

...  could that be real ... ? 


No comments: