Thursday, February 16, 2012

Waking to nightmares


Immortalized in beauty and tragedy.

Headline:  Man kills ex-girlfriend, then himself in Alameda

Late last night I saw a facebook post that said, "Rest in peace, Sara..." It was just after midnight, and was posted by a guy who used to date one of my friends.  I scrolled down to my last text from Sara, which was from the day before at 4:53pm.  I thought, "It can't be, it doesn't make any sense..." but, I was afraid to text her to find out.  I went to Sara's facebook page to see if anyone else had posted something like this and found post after post of rest in peace wishes...  With shaky hands I went back to Daniel's page to ask what happened. He replied with, "She was murdered last night...".

It wasn't real.  I just saw her last Wednesday, she just texted me.  We have plans to meet up on Sunday!  I googled and found this:  http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2012/02/15/BA3L1N7DU7.DTL  About an hour and a half after her last text to me, Sara's most recent ex-boyfriend showed up at her home and shot her. 

Last night I kept waking up with nightmares.  I would find myself imaging the stories she would tell about how it all felt... when she saw the gun, what it was like to be shot... to die.  In the news, it's a vague, nameless story of another relationship gone bad with a tragic ending... but, this is not another news story, this was a great friend - someone who was smart and ambitious, thoughtful, beautiful... someone I could giggle with all night and tell secrets to.  Sara didn't live in the ghetto or have a drug problem - her ex sounded like an emotional rollercoaster, but not like a violent person. 

How did this happen.... ?

I'm sort of numb and okay, and then I can't hold back the tears. I read the article again and again and again... I can hear her voice. I can hear her telling me...every detail, and I can't seem to process any of it -- but it all hurts. 

:'(

Goodbye, my friend...

6 comments:

Gabriella said...

I am so so very sorry Kristen. The unexpected loss of a friend can be devestatingly painful and a murder makes it doubly so. I love you SO very much. I have no plans this weekend so let me know if you want to hang out. Hugs and hugs and hugs and hugs. g

kristen said...

Thanks, Gabriella. I think I'm still in disbelief - my head has started to hurt thinking about it.

I got sucked into show planning today, which took my mind off of things for a while, and then I found myself laughing with some co-workers. It felt good... but strange, like it's too soon to be happy. ...even though, I know it's not really "like that". :(

I love you so much too, thank you.

fountainhead said...

Kristen, this is so sad. I am so sorry to hear about your loss and the tragic events that took your friend. She was richer for having known you and having you in her life.

Thinking of you in your time of loss.

kristen said...

Thank you, Jeff, I appreciate your nice words and your thoughts.

SFSairy said...

Such a tragedy, such a loss. I couldn't believe it when I heard. Why do things like this have to happen? So confusing, life can be so hard. I hope you're hanging in there. Big hugs to you my sweet friend Kristen! xoxo!

kristen said...

thanks, sarah, big hugs!

i've been feeling pretty strong this week, but then something will happen and i'll find myself shaking again.

i know you and sara weren't very close, but i hope you're okay too.