Saturday, December 11, 2010

Brooklyn

I love it when plans change exactly how you want them to. At the last minute I got to go to the theater in Brooklyn last night.

The Red Shoes was a production full of devices beautifully orchestrated to unlock imagination. Movement and moments made with light and frames and music and dance and smoke and stars... it was like a fable, and a bit of a clown show, and a puppet show, and...I sort want to compare it a little to the Rocky Horror Picture Show... hm. ...but, with less sex and more shoes and churches and old ladies and people in underwear (wait, both seemed to have a lot of underwear). Maybe that's a bad comparison. I only saw it once. (Well, I only saw both of them once.) Anyway...

The end of the show surprised me. I thought we were going to find ourselves arriving at an obvious kind of a moral lesson -- but instead we found ourselves arriving at...humanity. Exquisite.

---------

I haven't slept since... I can't really remember when...? Sometime before Carmel. ...the Bay Area feels like a distant memory of incredible food and chilly rain...

No comments: