Saturday, December 5, 2009

Thanksgiving

I moved to California just before Thanksgiving in the year 2000.

After years of the same suburban Thanksgiving on repeat, full of family, friends and feast, it was a very different experience for me to head from my house in the ghetto to another house in the ghetto to celebrate my first Oakland Thanksgiving with a guy my roommate barely knew. We drove through vacant dusty streets with...was it macaroni Matt made to contribute to the dinner?

We actually had a big Thanksgiving feast that day...and then sat around listening to each other tell stories and play the guitar while everyone got high (besides me). When the hosts locked themselves in the bathroom for about an hour, in what appeared to be an effort to resolve an argument, we decided to leave.

The Thanksgivings between then and now have varied greatly, from a lonely diner meal, to a drive up the coast, to Josh and I trying to make our own dinner, to finding ourselves with a wonderful group of friends...

This Thanksgiving was spent with part of Josh's family in Temple City, CA. Turkey, tostada salad, Chinese rice, shrimp, squid, mashed potatoes, and a giant squash like vegetable from the neighbor's yard made up our feast. It was an incredibly random assortment of goodness.

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments: