Saturday, October 18, 2008

Saved or Destroyed

I tried to quit this play so many times!

I told the director I couldn't do it because I was in another show that opened the same weekend. He decided I could share the part with someone else and could still do his show the following weekends. Then, I couldn't go to rehearsals, completely missed tech week and never ran my lines with the cast AT ALL, and the other person playing my role was great at it so why disrupt a good thing, right? But the director still wanted me on stage. I told him I wasn't going to learn any of my lines until the week before I was supposed to go on because I needed to focus on the other show, and that I would be completely unprepared. He said I could just walk around reading the script.

Last Saturday night, while I was still learning the lines and the blocking and had still never been on stage with the cast, I found myself stumbling through a live show. It was a rough night. I feel like I got through it alright, but I don't think I was ready to be onstage.

I had a week to recover and polish up my lines and blocking on my own, and then I was back on the stage Thursday and Friday night. Walking in feeling like I finally knew my lines made a huge difference.

Thursday night was a great show. A small audience but a good one. Friday night had a nice big audience and also felt like a solid show. A really hot (temperature wise) show, but a good one.

*sigh*

After all of that, i'm really glad I got to be a part of this strange, dark, and unfinished play (Kondolean's last play written on his deathbed. Maybe not his best work, but a brilliant playwright.).

Thanks Val... :)

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

1 comment:

Gabriella said...

Wow that sounds rough. You know what I love about you? You always find a way to put a positive spin on things. You always look for what you've gained as a result of any stressful situation you find yourself in. Its a wonderful trait.