Monday, September 23, 2024

Mexico City


And, then I was off to Mexico City for Phuong's 40th birthday trip! 

8 ladies, a lot of activities and adventures, and some good learning. 

Some items I would keep in mind on my next visit would include: 
  • Prepare for the altitude! No drinking alcohol and do lots of hydrating right away
  • DON'T DRINK THE TAP WATER or use the water for brushing your teeth. Avoid ice and food washed in the water (salads, fruit, anything that touches the water!)
  • Maybe bring probiotics and liquid IV
  • Be ready to pay to use public toilets. Having pesos on hand are important for this.
  • Uber only. Do not use public transport.
  • Know some Spanish! Mexicans are not all bi-lingual like what we're used to in the states 😅
And, the list of adventures: 

Day 1
Dinner at Salazar - altitude sickness 

"Mexico City's elevation in feet is 7,349, or 2, 240 meters above sea level. Due to Mexico City's height, visitors can often experience altitude sickness, which can really take away from their enjoyment of the trip." For a little more context, Colorado Springs is 6,035 feet, and I've experienced issues with the altitude there in the last few years. 

Day 2
Xochimilco boats - chill, very touristy
Local lunch at Mesón Santa Catarina - yum
Casa Azul - Museo Frida Kahlo - inspiring experience 
Dinner in the neighborhood by the hotel
Lucha Libre - so fun! 

Day 3
Teotihuacan hot air balloon ride over the pyramids! (4:50am pick up from the hotel, and totally worth it) 
Teotihuacan walk (pyramids)
Lunch at La Gruta - awesome cave, great salsas, and the best mole I've ever had
Visit to Bazar Fusion - great collection of boutiques
Dinner at Agua y Sal - delicious!
Some girls went to a speakeasy - Yuki and I called it a night

Day 4
Random Taqueria - I had the tuna tacos and I maybe shouldn't have... 
Half the group left for home in the afternoon
Attempt to head to the Mercado de Artesanias La Ciudadela and the best Uber ride 
Walking Plaza de Constitución - street markets, public square 
Dinner at El Balcon del Zocalo - where my stomach issues began, but the food was great! 

Day 5
Breakfast at Panaderia Rosetta
We made it to the Mercado de Artesanias La Ciudadela :) 

It was an action packed time, I had to seriously put my Spanish speaking into practice, and I think we barely scratched the surface of what Mexico city has to offer. I mean, I know I missed out on some great food, even though I had some great food. :) 

List for next time: 
Limosneros
late night spot https://lacasadetono.mx/





No comments: