Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Cultivating joy


Brene Brown talks about the importance of cultivating joy as a way to conquer hard times.  A sort of "filling your cup" so that when bad things happen you have a well to draw from.

This idea made sense to me when I first heard it.  Do things that make you happy.  Sure.  I do that all the time!  I'm good at it.  I get it.  But, then, someone walked into YouTube with a gun and started shooting on a day when I was supposed to be there and, as I stood safely at my desk in Mountain View, shaking, on ping with the producer who was hiding under the desk in our front of house area, things began to clarify.

After a traumatic event, everything changes.  Sleep, dreams, your appetite, the news, people's casual comments about the news, the way you think about life, relationships, the chances you're so glad you took -- And, the things that truly fill your life with joy become very important.  You cling to them.  You counter every startling noise, every nightmare, every shaking fear soaked memory with all of the beauty you can muster.  You celebrate kindness, laughter, connection, life... and, you do your best to remember that things are okay most of the time.  You remember the joy because, without it, you might lose hope.

Bad things happen.  And, the only thing we can do when they happen is confront them.  Work through them.  And, in the meantime, do everything possible to fill our lives with as many good things as we can so we have a well of joy to draw from.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really like how your writing has developed. What you said above is true. I admire how you can always find/appreciate happiness. And, I hope you are truly happy :)

PS: you didnt repeat any words on section! Curated, curated, curated, curated hahaha.

kristen said...

I appreciate the compliment and encouragement, but I think you've missed the weight of the tragedy that led to this post. I am happy, and much more aware of the complexities of life.

Anonymous said...

Yea... I guess youre right :/