Friday, December 27, 2013

Tis the season


Everything happens for a reason...

My flight home for Christmas was cancelled... but, after being told I wouldn't get another flight out until Monday or Tuesday, I was able to book a flight for the following day.  One less day made a short trip home seem significantly shorter but, fortunately, constraints have a way of creating quality, and I ended up having a really nice, full, fun visit with my family and old friends.

Early on Christmas eve, my brother took me out for coffee at this brewery/cafe housed in an old school building.  It sounded reminiscent of a place I'd heard about in Portland, and a little research confirmed that it was inspired by the McMenamins' business model of repurposing abandoned spaces.  A very cool place with some really great coffee.

On our way into the school/brewery/cafe we walked by some kids sliding down the wide concrete railings alongside the stairs.  The concrete had been worn down enough to be a little slick, so the unsupervised kids were having a blast climbing up and sliding down again and again.  On our way out we decided to try the slide railing ourselves -- it was super fun.  :)

(Is it just me, or are the lights in the photo literally sparkling...?  This is a serious question, I have no idea how that's happening.)

No comments: